Pradeep Patwardhan Age, Death, Wife, Family, Biography & More
Age: 64 Years
Death Date: 09/08/2022
Wife: Suvarna Patwardhan
Some Lesser Known Facts About Pradeep Patwardhan
- Pradeep Patwardhan was a veteran Indian theatre artist and film & TV actor, who mainly worked in the Marathi entertainment industry. He gained immense popularity with the Marathi theatre play ‘Moruchi Mavshi.’
- From class 1 to class 7, he always stood first in the class. When he was in class 11, he failed twice. Later, he passed class 12 in commerce.
- On 1 January 1985, he started working as a professional theatre artist. In an interview, one of his friends shared that Pradeep used to sell tickets in black for his theatre play Moruchi Masashi.
- In the initial years of his career as a theatre artist, he did not earn much. In an interview, he shared that he even did a few odd jobs like wiping glasses in a hotel and working as a salesperson. Later, he got a job as a typist at the Bank of India. He then continued participating in various inter-bank competitions.
- He performed in many Marathi theatre plays. In an interview, while talking about his love for theatre plays, he said,
I have immense love for theater and plays. My friends Jaywant Wadkar and Satish Pulekar helped me perform well in many plays. I think when you play a character in a play, people remember it always. People never forget your role and that’s why I did many plays in my career.”
- Pradeep acted in various Marathi TV serials like ‘Nasti Afat’ (1989), ‘Sukhachya Sarini He Man Baware’ (2018), and ‘Maharashtrachi Hasyajatra’ (2018).
- He has also appeared in various Marathi films like ‘Ek Full Chaar Half’ (1991), ‘Wah Mami Wah’ (2010), ‘Police Line’ (2016), and ‘Journey Premachi’ (2017). During an interview, while talking about his roles in Marathi films, Pradeep said,
Three plays are being experimented at the same time. At that time, there were 5 to 6 rehearsals of dramas a week, so I never thought that I could not do films or that I should do films only. Not so now. Now the rehearsals of plays start only on Saturdays and Sundays. So we can do other things. But I always felt that I should have got a serious role, which I never got. I was always seen as a comedy nut.”
- In 2015, he played a small role in the Hindi film ‘Bombay Velvet’ (2015). In the same year, he acted in the Hindi short film ‘Holding Back.’
- In one of his interviews, he talked about groups in the film industry. He said,
There is lobbying and groupism. It has been increasing and I have seen that. There were few who would tell me to do good projects in life. A few people told me ‘Are yar hum karenge kaam ek din’ then why don’t you give me any work? There are groups of people who only cast certain actors in their projects. They don’t work beyond that circle.”
- Pradeep was once invited on a Marathi talk show along with the Marathi actor Vijay Patkar. During the show, Vijay shared that while they were studying in the same college, Pradeep used to have many girlfriends in college. Patkar said,
Pradeep had a huge craze among girls during his college days. He was the superstar of Siddharth College. He used to enter college like Amitabh Bachchan. He was also known as Lady Killer. It was difficult for us to maintain a wife, while Pradeep had many girlfriends in college.”
- Pradeep used to dance at ‘dahi handi’ events. During an interview, he said,
I loved to dance in Govinda. Even so, I prefer to dance to the banjo. I still have this passion. Once, while dancing in Govinda at Girgaon, suddenly a bag came down for me from the fourth floor, containing jalebi and barfi for me.”
- Pradeep once shared that it was his mother’s dream to see him working. So, he never quit working even when he was medically unfit.
- On 9 August 2022, Pradeep took his last breath at his home in Girgaon, Mumbai. Reportedly, he was medically unfit for a few months before his demise. On his demise, one of his friends Vijay Patkar, who is a Marathi actor shared his memories with Pradeep. Patkar said,
We were together since college days. Worked together in the Bank of India Also, we both made our debut together in the art world. We have known each other for the past 38 years. Last week I spoke to Pradeep. And today I am hearing the news of his demise.”
- On his demise, Maharashtra Chief Minister, Eknath Shinde took to Twitter to share his condolence. He tweeted,
Pradeep Patvardhan, the popular and much-loved actor, who captivated audiences with his elegant acting in Marathi cinema, died unexpectedly. The Marathi art world lost an amazing artiste with his departure.”